Last month, the biopharma community gathered for the industry’s largest event, the BIO International Convention. We hope the event was successful for everyone who attended. We know it was a busy time for folks, especially based on the numbers from the Partnering System! Here is a quick recap:
BIO One-on-One Partnering Stats for BIO2013
- A total of 25,537 One-on-One Partnering meetings were scheduled at the event, officially beating last year’s record!
- Partnering Meeting Requests increased 10% from the previous year.
- 5,430 partnering meetings took place in the exhibit hall, another exciting stat for the event.
- Over 500 meetings were scheduled in the Alliance Zone, a designated area in the exhibit hall for academic and patient advocacy groups.
- 20% increase in attendance at company presentations. (Read a few snapshots from some of the participating companies here.)
Stats are always interesting, but what does it mean for the state of the industry? Dave Thomas, Director of Industry Research and Analysis at BIO, published a post on this very topic. As Dave states, “the analysis looked at the meeting activity of 180 in-licensors attending the Chicago conference in terms of what therapeutic areas and stages of development were in highest demand.” Read what was discovered and download the slides.
A Look Ahead
While our largest event is now behind us, the BIO One-on-One Partnering System is definitely not done for the year! Below is a quick recap of what’s to come.
BIO’s World Congress: June 16-19, Montreal
- This event is run by the I&E department here at BIO. It’s the world’s largest industrial biotechnology event for business leaders, investors, and policy makers in biofuels, biobased products, and renewable chemicals. It’ll also be utilizing the Partnering System, and is now in its 10th year! Click here for more.
BIO Investor Forum: October 8-9, San Francisco
- The BIO Investor Forum is returning to San Francisco for its 12th year! Focused on early and established private companies, as well as emerging public companies, the two-day event will feature therapeutic panels, business roundtables, One-on-One meetings with investors, and company presentations. Find out more at bio.org/investorforum.
BIO Convention in China: November 11-13, Beijing
- We’re very excited to head to Beijing for the first time for the BIO Convention in China. A growing industry, executives will meet here in Beijing to explore China’s emerging biotech sector, connect, and partner with the BIO One-on-One Partnering System. Visit bio.org/biochina, and sign up for a biopharma newsletter strictly focused on this region.
Thanks again to everyone who joined us in Chicago. Remember, you can still use the Partnering System even though the event is over. (In fact, it’ll be open for a full year.) We hope to see you again soon!