Category Archives: Inside BIO Industry Analysis
Here at the 10th Annual BIO Investor Forum, investors and CEOs are debating “all the options” for private companies. The first panel of the conference explored the backdoor entrance into public markets as chilly winds continue to blow through the latest IPO window. For the lunch plenary, panelists examined the option to go virtual and make capital efficiency a reality. Reverse Mergers It is no secret that the IPO market for biotechs has been tough. Read More >
Of the 300 publicly traded U.S. biotechs, 219 (73%) are developing drugs. The other 27% are working on molecular tools, diagnostics, biofuels, and other biotech endeavors. One question that is often asked with respect to drug-focused biotechs is: How big are they compared to traditional pharmaceutical companies? How many are valued as small start-ups vs large, or mid-size pharmas? It turns out that more than half the sector trades with a market valuation of less Read More >
IPO plans for Quark Pharmaceuticals were officially put on hold last week as markets continue to drop and investors shy away from risk. This is the fifth IPO withdrawal since June. Ambit, Agendia and Clarus cited market reasons for their withdrawals, and Advanced BioHealing sought a higher valuation exit via acquisition. Only one biotech IPO, Horizon Pharma, has made it out in the last six months. Of the nine biotech IPOs so far in 2011, Read More >
BioWorld’s Tom Wall interviewed BIO’s Alan Eisenberg (subscription required) on what attendees can expect at this week’s BIO India International Partnering Conference. Interest in India has been strong and attendance at the conference is expected to surpass last year’s event. The population forecasted to grow in the coming years, combined with significant disease burden is a draw for many companies seeking business development and partnering opportunities. BIO India will feature keynote speakers Glenn Saldanha, Chairman Read More >
The Burrill Report’s Daniel Levine talks to BIO’s Alan Eisenberg regarding recent fluctuations in the financial markets and the impact on public policy. Eisenberg discusses implementation of BIO’s legislative proposals and the outlook for the industry. BIO will be hosting the BIO Investor Forum to bring together industry leaders to discuss these recent developments that could have a major influence in helping to shape the future of biotechnology.