As BIO celebrates its 25-year anniversary, the upcoming BIO International Convention June 4-7 at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center will highlight the organization’s past and imagine the future. With the theme and tagline, “make history”, BIO 2018 will be remembered for its high-profile speakers, over 16,000 attendees, 1,800 exhibitors, record breaking partnering meetings, stellar education program, global pavilions and super fun networking events.
The first keynote speaker was announced today: TV’s Robin Roberts. A well-known broadcast journalist, Roberts has conducted interviews with countless newsmakers, musicians, authors, athletes and celebrities. She was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2007. Five years later after beating cancer, she was diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS), a rare disease of the blood and bone marrow once known as pre-leukemia. Roberts underwent a bone marrow transplant in September 2012 and has become an outspoken advocate for bone marrow donations and blood cancer research. The keynote session, will be held Tuesday, June 5 from 9-10:30 AM (EST).
As the world’s epicenter of biotechnology innovation, Boston – which last hosted BIO in 2012 – is the prime location for BIO 2018. The city is home to nearly 1,000 biotech companies, academic centers, hospitals and life science centers advancing breakthrough research and product development. Over the last decade, Massachusetts has become a powerhouse for industry growth, with a 30 percent increase in jobs and no signs of slowing down. At last year’s convention, Governor Charlie Baker unveiled a 5-year, $500 million plan to increase infrastructure, research and development, and workforce training to continue building upon Massachusetts’ scientific excellence.
- Nineteen educational tracks, covering all sectors of biotechnology including genome editing, opioids, digital health, oncology, personalized medicine, food and agriculture and more.
- Discussions by top thought leaders from:
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation – Dr. Penny Heaton and Dr. Susan Desmond-Hellmann
- Food and Drug Administration – Dr. Scott Gottlieb
- Novartis – Dr. Jay Bradner
- Merck – Kevin Ali, Dr. Christine Brennan, Dr. Julie Gerberding and Michael Nally
- Sanofi – Dr. Heather Bell, Dr. Justin Huddleson, Dr. Adam Keeney and Stephen Meunier
- Kraft Group and New England Patriots President – Jonathan Kraft
- Engaging exhibits such as the Patient Advocacy Pavilion, Emerging Innovators Zone, Digital Health Zone, and Start-Up Stadium – a “Shark Tank”-like program where startups present to leading subject-matter experts in the industry.
BIO 2018 will play host to countless networking and partnering opportunities including receptions on Monday and Wednesday and Hospitality receptions on the exhibit floor at the end of the day on Tuesday.
Party-goers for Wednesday’s evening reception will be entertained by no other than DIANA ROSS!
Receptions are great for networking but BIO’s proprietary One-on-One Partnering™ program holds the key to making the right connections and building relationships—and it opens next week. The system allows attendees to identify potential partners and schedule meetings prior to the conference. In 2017, there were over 41,400 individual meetings held over the course of four days. Anyone registered for Convention Access + Partnering can use the system and the chances for getting the meetings you want improve the earlier you log in and set up your company profile.
With proper planning, in just four critical days, you can set up a full year of business connections, partnering possibilities and exposure to many innovations for the future of biotech. BIO offers a variety of programming, connection points and networking resources to ensure success. Begin by outlining your organization’s objectives (and a few personal ones too) and start evaluating how you can make the most of your time at BIO.
All of this points to Boston as the place to be from June 4-7 for you to “make history” with promising partnerships. To learn more about the event and available registration packages, please visit convention.bio.org/register.