On March 19, GMO Answers announced results from a national survey identifying the top questions consumers have about genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and how our food is grown. The survey was commissioned by GMO Answers and the Council for Biotechnology Information and was carried out by Ipsos, a global market research company.
Participants were asked: The following are questions some people have asked about GMOs. Which of the following questions around the use of GMOs would you be most interested in having answered?
Results presented below show the top ten questions that consumers posed most about GMOs:
1. If GMOs cause cancer.
2. If GMOs are causing an increase in allergies.
3. If big companies are forcing farmers to grow GMOs.
4. If GMOs are increasing the price of food.
5. If GMOs are contaminating organic food crops.
6. Why long-term health studies aren’t conducted on GMO plants.
7. If GMOs are causing an increase in the use of pesticides.
8. Why GMO companies seem like they are so against labeling GMO foods.
9. If GMOs are contributing to the death of bees and butterflies.
10. If livestock eat genetically modified grain, will there be GMOs in my meat.
Each week GMO Answers will reveal a truthful and valid response from one of its credentialed experts answering these questions. Responses to Question #1: If GMOs cause cancer (in short, No) and Question #2: If GMOs are causing an increase in allergies (in short, No) have been answered on the site and can be found here.
Visit GMO Answers’ Top 10 Consumer Questions About GMOs, Answered page to see responses to this week’s question – If big companies are forcing farmers to grow GMOs.
Since its launch last year, more than 500 questions about GMOs, food and agriculture have been answered by experts on GMO Answers. Visit the site to ask your questions on GMOs!